Skip to main content

Our Story

A Family Business

Proudly owned by the Giorgi family for 3 generations, CCA has been on the packaging scene for almost half a century.  Our reputation for quality, sustainable products has been built by the hard work and dedication of our employees; many of whom have spent their entire careers helping to build the legacy.  There is more that goes into the making of a can than most people outside the industry understand.  This long tenure of many integral people has helped to shape the past and inspire our future.

Built on the idea of Kaizen, our philosophy is one of constant evolution – continuous improvement driven internally – from the beginning of our process on the production floor, straight to the top.  This way of thinking influences every aspect of our business.

1906

A Fresh Start

At the young age of 12, Pietro Giorgi and his family made the journey from Italy to America for a new start.

1928

Humble Beginnings

Pietro Giorgi built his first mushroom houses in Temple, Pennsylvania. Today, Giorgi Mushroom is the largest grower of mushrooms in one location and Giorgio Foods Inc. is the largest processor of mushrooms in the United States.

1976

Vertical Integration

Forged of innovation – Can Corporation of America, Inc. was born.

Due to frustrations with their suppliers at that time, from poor service to substandard quality, the decision was made to vertically integrate and CCA was founded to manufacture metal cans and ends. The frustration that inspired the creation of CCA, is the driving force behind the foundation of our business – to not repeat the mistakes that others have made.

1978

Business Expansion

Initially created to supply Giorgio Foods only, CCA decided to branch out and extend its product offerings to a broader customer base.  This included other food producers, coffee roasters and non-food based customers as well.  From tomatoes to beans and motor oil to industrial adhesives, CCA’s cans are capable of being home to an array of products.

1984

A home of our own

In 1984, CCA opened its first facility in Blandon, Pennsylvania; just a short distance from Giorgio Foods Inc.

1994-1995

CCA gets a second facility

In 1994, Can Corp needed additional space and took up residence in another Giorgio building roughly 6 miles up the road from the primary plant.  Affectionately referred to as the Berks Plant, the secondary facility was added to increase can line capacity.

2022

Global Player

Today, CCA supports customers throughout North America.  As part of GGH’s packaging division, which also includes CANPACK group, we have a network of 31 plants that span 18 countries.